Candles can play a huge role in building up the perfect atmosphere for a romantic dinner or a holiday celebration with the family, but while we all enjoy the warmth of their burning flame, no one wants to clean the mess that wax drips can leave on the carpet.
Seeing this huge wax stain on your favorite rug can seem scary at first, but fortunately, there is a really simple and effective way to deal with this. We’ll show you how to get wax out of carpet or upholstery, simple and easy, which you can try right now!
First let’s cover what you’ll need: a plastic bag / some ice cubes / a blunt knife / an iron / some brown paper / a white clean cloth / a bowl of warm water
- Take the plastic bag and put some ice cubes in it, after that place it on top of the stein and leave it for 5 min to make sure all of the wax underneath is frozen. Hard wax is easier to remove manually and the less it remains after this, the easier your task will become.
- Take the blunt knife and start scraping the already frozen wax. Be gentle and take your time, otherwise, you risk in damaging the fabric. Remove as much as you can this way.
- Vacuum the area. You don’t want to leave any of the scrapped harden wax on the carpet, as it can liquefy and crate other steins.
- After this, you will see that there is still wax remaining on your carpet that is attached to its fibers. To remove it you need to liquefy it first. Take the brown paper (you can use brown paper bags or paper shipping cushions) and place it on top of the stain.
- Heat up the iron (set it on medium, wax doesn’t require too much heat to liquefy, furthermore by heating it too much you risk in burning the fabric) and place it on the top of the brown paper that is covering the wax stain.
- Keep holding the iron in the same spot, while pulling the paper from underneath it. You will see how the brown paper starts absorbing now liquefied wax in form of large dark wet spots and lifting it from the carpet.
- Keep repeating this, with the clean parts of the brown paper, until all of the wax has been absorbed and the paper comes clean from underneath of the iron. The key to this is to always keep the paper moving while holding the iron on the same spot above the wax stain. If you need to rest or change the paper make sure to lift the iron and then place it back on top once you are ready or it can burn the area.
- Use a home cleaning solution to remove any remaining wax residue in the area.
- Dampen the clean cloth into the warm water and gently dap the area to rinse it from any remaining residue.
- Let it dry.
In this video by David Nance you can see steps 4 – 7 in action.
For colored wax steins
If you get colored wax drips on your carpet proceed until step: 7 the same way as the above. If you can still see a remaining color stein, even after the wax is gone, here is what you can do:
You will need: a white clean piece of cloth / some rubbing alcohol
- After step: 7 pour a small amount of rubbing alcohol on the piece of cloth (it needs to be white, so it doesn’t let out a colour and so you can clearly see the results from the cleaning on it)
- Gently start dabbing on the stains with the moist part of the cloth. DO NOT RUB, it can spread the stain and damage the fabric.
- Once you see color starts lifting from the carpet to the cloth moist another part of the cloth and repeat until all of it is cleaned.
- Proceed to step: 8 as usual.
For really small steins
If the stein is really small instead of the iron you can use a spoon and a lighter to liquefy the wax. Here is how:
- After step: 4 instead of using an iron take the e spoon and heat it with the lighter for 5-10 sec.
- Place it on top of the brown paper, where the wax stein is.
- Similarly, to the above you will see how the heat from spoon liquefies the wax and allows it to be absorbed by the paper.
- Keep reheating the spoon and using clean paper until all of the wax is lifted from your carpet.
- If there is a residue proceed to step: 8.
If the stain remains on your carpet or upholstery even after you treat it this way, there is no need for panic! We at Wimbledon cleaning service are always at your disposal! Our professional cleaners will take care of your carpet and make it brand new! Contact us now and enjoy your free time with your family while we deal with the nasty chores for you.
Important: Before you proceed in cleaning, regardless of the chosen method or solution, you should always check if it is suitable for your carpet or upholstery. For example, some natural made fabrics, such as ones from grass and wool, can be damaged if treated with liquid solutions. If you are not sure what your carpet is made from we advise you to contact a professional cleaner.
How to do that? Take some of the cleaning solution and apply a small amount of it in out of the way part of your carpet (under the sofa for example). If you see any color change or another sign of damage, immediately rinse the area with a sponge soaked in cold water and contact a professional cleaner.